Monday 5 March 2018

The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One Spoiler Free Review

The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One
by Amanda Lovelace
Release Date: March 6th, 2018

Synopsis:


The witch: supernaturally powerful, inscrutably independent, and now—indestructible. These moving, relatable poems encourage resilience and embolden women to take control of their own stories. Enemies try to judge, oppress, and marginalize her, but the witch doesn’t burn in this one.

My Thoughts:


I received an ARC through Netgalley

I gave this book 5 stars. I loved this book as much as I loved the first one. It was full of empowerment towards all women. Full of clever metaphors that made everything 10 times better.

I’ve seen a lot of reviews where readers give this author shit for the way she chose to write her poetry, saying it isn’t real poetry because of how she had her line spacing and the way she chose to present it on paper. I think that’s utter bullshit. There is this thing called a Poetic License meaning you can express these emotions and stories in any way you would like. There are no rules to poetry and the fact that so many people are saying it isn’t real poetry tells me that they know nothing about poetry. Now that I’ve said my piece on that, let’s get to the actual contents of this book.

I felt incredibly empowered after reading this, I don’t care what people say about this, but this book made me feel so powerful. It kind of reminds me of that book from Friends that the girls read and got all empowered as women. 

I love the use of metaphor in this book. It’s like I’m reading a fantasy that also applies to real life. I’ve always wanted to be a witch.

To read this novel, you don’t have to read The Princess Saves Herself in This One, but I would highly recommend you doing so. It’s a great lead into this one.

This poetry collection does cover a something very controversial- the Trump Presidency. I personally don’t like Trump or anything he’s been doing, he scares me. His followers scare me. I feel like it was important for the author to broach current events in her poetry, I’m glad she did it. It gave substance to what she was trying to say. 

This book is for the feminists out there. Would highly recommend this one.



2 comments:

  1. The title of this book is amazing, isn't it? quite attention-catching; I'm glad to see that it lives up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the title of the first book was what initially drew me in. I love a good title.

    ReplyDelete