Sunday 25 March 2018

Sunday Favorites: Finnick Odair


Just to start off, in case you didn't know Finnick Odair is a character from the Hunger Games Trilogy who doesn't come in till the second novel, so if you haven't read the series yet, you probably don't want to read this post. In case you want to know a bit more, I will insert the synopsis of the first book below:


Winning will make you famous. 
Losing means certain death.

The nation of Panem, formed from a post-apocalyptic North America, is a country that consists of a wealthy Capitol region surrounded by 12 poorer districts. Early in its history, a rebellion led by a 13th district against the Capitol resulted in its destruction and the creation of an annual televised event known as the Hunger Games. In punishment, and as a reminder of the power and grace of the Capitol, each district must yield one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 through a lottery system to participate in the games. The 'tributes' are chosen during the annual Reaping and are forced to fight to the death, leaving only one survivor to claim victory.

When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives, some of whom have trained for this their whole lives. , she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature. 

Many of you may already know, I love Finnick Odair. He's my book husband, and he was my very first book boyfriend. My love for Finnick Odair is what started this whole thing.

Finnick isn't present a whole lot in the series, he only has a handful of scenes in the books, but that doesn't leave those scenes with any less impact. He, in my personal opinion, stole the show. I never cared about the whole #TEAMPeeta or #TEAMGale thing. I was always on #TEAMFinnick.



Finnick really came crashing onto the scene with his net of a costume in the second book and stole everyone hearts. Finnick was portrayed as this sex symbol who was out to seduce everyone. This spurred on one of my favorite quotes from the entire series:


"He offered me sugar and wanted to know all my secrets," I say in my best seductive voice.

At the time of the release of Catching Fire, I didn't really think Sam Claflin was the best fit for Finnick, I had a very specific image of him in my mind, but now that I've had some time to think about it I actually think he's perfect for the role.

I was lucky enough to go to an advanced screening to Catching Fire with my best friend. Spoiler Alert, it was epic. I came prepared. I actually went out of my way to buy a box of sugar cubes which I munched on throughout the movie because I just love Finnick so much that I would eat actual cubes of sugar despite actually hating them.

Despite the front he puts up, Finnick is so much more than a slutty victor. He's so full of love and respect for others. He had a loving, compassionate marriage to Annie. Honestly, their relationship was so enviable, especially how they were together. He was so sweet to her at all times and she seemed to be a little less crazy whenever he was with her. Kinda makes me tear up just thinking about them together.

Let's end this off with some iconic Finnick Quotes:


“Finnick?" I say, "Maybe some pants?"
He looks down at his legs as if noticing his outfit for the first time. Then he whips off his hospital gown leaving him in just his underwear. "Why? Do you find this" -- he strikes a ridiculously provocative pose -- "distracting?"
I laugh. Boggs looks embarrassed and Finnick looks more like the guy I met at the Quarter Quell”. 

“Well, don't expect us to be too impressed. We just saw Finnick Odair in his underwear.” 

“Really, the combination of the scabs and the ointment looks hideous. I can't help enjoying his distress.
"Poor Finnick. Is this the first time in your life you haven't looked pretty?" I say.
"It must be. The sensation's completely new. How have you managed it all these years?" he asks.
"Just avoid mirrors. You'll forget about it," I say.
"Not if I keep looking at you," he says.”

 “Want a sugar cube?" he asks in his old seductive voice.” 

“Did you love Annie right away, Finnick?" I ask.
 "No." A long time passes before he adds, "She crept up on me.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment