Tuesday 30 May 2017

Top 10 Favourite Standalones

I read a lot of standalones, so narrowing this down was pretty hard. I will also have you know that I didn't include any qualifiers. No books that can be read as standalones or part of a series. I am dedicated that way. Yeah when it got to the last four I was sitting here tugging at my hair trying to decide which order to put them in. It was like trying to choose a favourite child. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy!

10. Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman



You've probably never seen me mention this book before. That's because i don't actually mention it a lot because most people have no idea what it is. Let me start off with, I first learned of the book because when I was a kid I watched the movie adaptation, you know, the one with Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman. After watching the movie a thousand and one times, I one day noticed that in the opening credits it said "Based off a best selling novel by Alice Hoffman" and I knew I needed to read it. Now the movie wasn't that close to the book, but I ended up loving both of them nonetheless, for I am an incurable lover of magic and romance.

9. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell



From the very beginning I couldn't help but relate to Cath (more and more with each passing day) and this story has stuck with me throughout the years.

8. Ensnared by Rita Stradling



I just read this one a few months ago and ever since I finished it I still think about it a lot. Once i finished it the first time I just had to go back and read the whole thing over again because I was just addicted to the writing and the story. Usually I don't go for robot books, but I didn't even mind while reading this book.

7. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie



This was my first whodunit mystery novel, also my first and only Agatha Christie novel and I have to say I was not disappointed in the slightest about this book.

6. Ready Player One by Ernest Clines



This book was so epic. I'd been hearing so much hype around this book for years and finally I decided to pick it up, not thinking it would be as good as everyone said it would be. It was. I had such a wild ride while reading this book and I regret putting it off so long.

5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte



I don't often read classics, I like to think I'm sophisticated and an intellectual who devours classics often, but I really don't. Which is why when I read this book straight through it was unexpected. This book (mostly) had it all, love, feminism, and a great sense of morality.

4. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern



This book was just so different. It had an almost ethereal quality to it, I never wanted to look away while reading it. A must read.

3. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness



This story was so heartbreaking because of how relatable it was. It had a devastating accuracy about what we see in ourselves but don't want to admit. I will forever idolize this book.

2. The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton



This was the first time I ever read a book for school that I didn't dislike. It showed me that reading for school didn't completely suck. Not to mention the actual story taught me a lot about life and social differences and all that jazz. If you haven't read it, you should. It's like a right of passage.

1. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson



Don't worry, one day I will stop mentioning this book so much.


Well, I hope you guys enjoyed and please do tell me some of your favourite standalones!

No comments:

Post a Comment