Saturday 15 July 2017

Stealing Candy Spoiler Free Review


Stealing Candy
Stealing Candy 
by Stewart Lewis

Synopsis:


Candy hates boarding school. As a junior, graduation is still eons away, and making films is the only way to survive the boredom. Until she is kidnapped.

Candy panics. Along Came a Spider, Ransom, Taken, Cellular… Candy knows how these movies end. The only reason anyone would abduct her is to get a payout from her rock star father. Except Candy and her father are estranged. There’s no way he’s going to pay.


But with every hour that passes, Candy’s fear slowly recedes. Being on the road is freeing, not to mention great material for a new documentary. And the more time she spends with her handsome captor Levon, the more she learns the whole scheme is not just about ransom. It’s about revenge. What began as a kidnapping is spiraling into a crazy road trip adventure as Candy and Levon find a lot of wrong ways to do the right thing.

My Thoughts:

I gave this book 2.5 stars. It took me a few months to finally write this review because I couldn't really gather my thoughts on it up until now. I can finally figure out how I felt about it.

This book, while having a very interesting premise, fell a bit flat to me. I was so excited going into it, but I ended up dragging my feet, often ditching this to read something else more to my taste. Even after I finally started reading large chunks of this at a time I doing a bit of skim reading, which isn't the best when you're expected to write a review on it.

The writing... the only way I can seem to explain it is not enough showing and way too much telling. I was getting a lot more of the "protagonist's" voice than I was of the actual author. I was being told all of these things that were happening intends of seeing them playing out and the emotions that the protagonist attributed with these actions. It was more like the protagonist thinking things like "I did this because of this" and no other rational behind it. She would just do things because she wanted to.

The plot was interesting enough, it wasn't played out the best, but I wasn't falling asleep while reading it. I liked how there was more to the kidnapping than Levon just wanting money with no other motive. He had more going on than just wanting to be rich. There was a reasonable and serious explanation to why things went the way they were.

As for the "romance" I didn't really care for it. It didn't do anything for me, mostly because I didn't exactly care for the characters themselves, they seemed pretty one dimensional despite having these serious backstories. They didn't feel that relatable to me, i couldn't connect.

As for the ending of this book, I didn't like it. It was almost a cliffhanger and I don't think there is going to be a second book, so I'm a bit annoyed by the ending. It was a very unsatisfying ending to say the least and I still think about it sometimes. I want to know what happens after, but at the same time I wouldn't want to waste my energy reading that. 

Overall, not the best book I've ever read. I can't say that I would recommend it, but if you seem interested by the premise and you want to give it a shot who am I to stop you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment