Saturday 22 July 2017

Daughter of Deep Silence Review


Daughter of Deep Silence
Daughter of Deep Silence
by Carrie Ryan

Spoilers


Synopsis:



In the wake of the deadly devastation of luxury yacht Persephone, just three souls remain to tell its story—and two of them are lying. Only Frances Mace, rescued from the ocean after torturous days adrift with her dying friend Libby, knows that the Persephone wasn’t sunk by a rogue wave as survivors Senator Wells and his son are claiming—it was attacked.

To ensure her safety from the obviously dangerous and very powerful Wells family, Libby’s father helps newly orphaned Frances assume Libby’s identity. Frances has spent years in hiding, transforming herself into Libby, and she can no longer allow the people who murdered her entire family and Libby to get away with it. After years of careful plotting, she’s ready to set her revenge plans into motion—even if it means taking down the boy she’d once been in love with: the senator’s son.


The game has just begun, and Frances is not only playing dirty, she’s playing to win.

My Thoughts:


I gave this book 5 stars. This book was an unexpected gem. It was everything that I didn't expect from it. I didn't even mean to start reading it, but I just turned to the first page, you know, just to see what it was like and the next thing I knew I was 100 pages in and there was no stopping me. This story was incredibly addicting and I don't say that lightly, I honestly could not put it down.

This was one of those books that I was just vaguely interested enough in to want to read and when I found it at the bookstore for 6 dollars I thought "Why not?" and bought it. I wasn't even planning on reading it any time soon, I was just going to stick it with my other TBR books and read it when the mood finally struck, little did I know that the mood would strike when I turned to that first page.


The story was more of a narrative, it did have dialogue, but most of the story was what the protagonist told us and it worked for this book. I like it when I get a good sense of the emotions that the character had while she was dealing with the aftermath of this disaster. And her reliving the terror that was that night on the yacht. 

For some reason I just expected Grey to be completely evil, but good looking. He was sort of played out to be the bad guy in the synopsis since he lied about something so important, but when reading the book a villain is the exact opposite of what e got. Grey was sweet and compassionate and cute and loving and was just the perfect guy, albeit, harbouring a lot of damaging secrets. I couldn't help but root for him.

I felt a deep connection to Frances, or Libby I guess, she had been though so much and it was taking over her life, she couldn't seem too get passed any of her traumatic experience. She was dedicated to bringing down the people who ruined her life and ended the lives of her family. 

The ending was epic and really everything I could have wanted. Thom, the man who shot up the boat, died, the Senator got jail time which he most definitely deserved, Frances got peace of mind and hopefully a new life with Grey. I still have a lot of questions, but I feel like the best books always leave us with an abundance of questions at the end. 

There is almost nothing I love more than a good revenge plot. The author completely did the premise justice. All I could think about after finishing this book was "That's it? What happens next? I need more!" I honestly can't believe the story ended like that I need to know what happens after the story ends. It's considered a thriller, but I didn't really see it as one. It had some thrilling parts, but I tend to not really enjoy thrillers all that much, I feel like they lack compassion in their most basic rights and I just don't care about them. This book had lots of emotions that drove the book and I would highly recommend it.

Quotes:


“If anything, revenge is the absence of emotion. It's pure, calculated thought stripped bare of entangling emotions. It's cold, deliberate action.” 


“It's funny, most people think that revenge is a passionate affair, driven by rage and pain. But it can't be. Feelings such as those make you weak. They overwrite thought and cause reckless impulses that lead to poor decisions.” 


Could I really let her die? I ask myself. The most alarming realization is the sudden and sure answer: yesI could absolutely let her die.” 

“So, to very unsubtly change the subject, what kind of books do you like to read? And so help me if you say Greek mythology, I'll turn this car around myself." It takes him a minute to get my joke, and then he starts laughing and I join in. And there's something about it all - the expanse of the summer sky arcing overhead and my hand still on Grey's warm thigh - that makes me wonder if I could just pause life here and wrap a bubble around this moment, if it would be enough to keep me happy.” 


“As I pass by him, I feel a crackle of tension between us. A slow heat begins its way into my cheeks, mirroring the flush in Grey's, and I realize that I hadn't been the only one acutely aware of his nakedness in the shower.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment