Saturday 4 June 2016

The Name of the Wind Book Talk

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)

The Name of the Wind
by Patrick Rothfuss
Spoilers

Summary:



Told in Kvothe's own voice, this is the tale of the magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen. 

The intimate narrative of his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, his years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-ridden city, his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a legendary school of magic, and his life as a fugitive after the murder of a king form a gripping coming-of-age story unrivaled in recent literature. 


A high-action story written with a poet's hand, The Name of the Wind is a masterpiece that will transport readers into the body and mind of a wizard.

My Thoughts:



I gave this book 5 stars because wow. It was just so well thought out and Kvothe. Man Kvothe was insane. I can't.



I have to say that whenever Kvothe did something like break into the fucking archives, I was so nervous. Like wtf are you trying to get expelled. I can already sense that he is going to get caught in the act or something and get expelled. He just seemed so fearless and could do anything. 



I really hate Ambrose, he was such an asshole. I just wanted Kvothe to put him in his place, I mean it probably happens in the second or third book, but I haven't gotten there yet. I actually really ship Ambrose with Kvothe. Seriously I don't care about Kvothe's lady friend. I just want him to realize that he likes men and hook up with Ambrose. This is like a Harry and Draco situation.



The plot and journey were just amazing, Kvothe has been through so much and it shows in his character. Those parts where he played mind games and just blew me away with his mental capacity. It was like the book equivalent to watching an episode of Sherlock. I sat transfixed, I honestly could not stop reading.



The part with the junky dragon had to be my favourite part.You think I'm kidding? I cannot make this shit up. Who thinks of this? Kvothe and his lady friend fight off a dragon near the end of the book and get the devotion of an entire village. 



 I can't say I laughed a lot by this book or cried, which are usually my two different types of 5 star books, book I felt so connected to the story and the characters that that doesn't even matter. The story kept me engaged, everything that happened was fresh and while reading this. There were some slow moments, but it would quickly become fast paced in no time.



Can I even get started about Auri? She is so adorable and crazy and I love her. She may just be my favourite character in this whole book.  If I had to be any character from this book it would probably be her because she is just a free spirit, I mean she may be half starved and living in the Underthing but at least she seems happy and free. It honestly seems great. She doesn't fit inside the box and I would absolutely love to know about the Undertaking in the next books. The Underthing is this whole world with an entrance under the university, I don't really know much else than that.



I'm really curious about Master Elodin and his Mastery. Naming seems to have a huge part of the whole story, I think it might have a huge plot point in some of the other books, well I know considering it's hinted at that Kvothe knows the name of the wind. I would also love to know what happened to Elodin. So far he is the most interesting Master.



Quotes:

"Call a jack a jack. Call a spade a spade. But always call a whore a lady. Their lives are hard enough, and it never hurts to be polite." 
"The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind." 
"When the hearthfire turns to blue,
What to do? What to do?
Run outside. Run and hide.
When your bright sword turns to rust?
Who to trust? Who to trust?
Stand alone. Standing stone.
See a woman pale as snow?
Silent come and silent go.
What's their plan? What's their plan?
Chandrian. Chandrian."

No comments:

Post a Comment