Monday 2 April 2018

The Heart Forger Spoiler Free Review


The Heart Forger (The Bone Witch, #2)
The Heart Forget
by Rin Chupeco

Release Date: March 20th, 2018

Synopsis:

In The Bone Witch, Tea mastered resurrectionnow she's after revenge...

No one knows death like Tea. A bone witch who can resurrect the dead, she has the power to take life...and return it. And she is done with her self-imposed exile. Her heart is set on vengeance, and she now possesses all she needs to command the mighty daeva. With the help of these terrifying beasts, she can finally enact revenge against the royals who wronged herand took the life of her one true love.

But there are those who plot against her, those who would use Tea's dark power for their own nefarious ends. Because you can't kill someone who can never die...


War is brewing among the kingdoms, and when dark magic is at play, no one is safe.

My Thoughts:

I received an ARC for an honest review

I gave this books 4.5 stars. I’m still saving that last .5 of a star for the next (final?) book. This was the book I wanted after reading the first novel. The first book was good, but there was so much more than it could have had and I felt that the author finally took it up a notch in this book.

The sequel follows our same cast and crew as the previous novel. It doesn’t pick up right after the end of the first book, I couldn’t exactly figure out how much time had passed, just that it wasn’t too long and the first book wasn’t too recent. 

There is a lot of evolution when it comes to the relationships in this book. They are so much richer and impactful than anything that happened in the first book. You really sort to care for them and root for these characters. I also loved how diverse this book is, we have one super cute LGBT couple and another one that hasn’t happened yet but I’m sure it will because it is hinted at. Also, I may be remembering incorrectly, but I’m almost certain that in the first book it is mentioned that Tea is a person of colour. I may just be remembering wrong, but I’m pretty sure. Don’t quote me on this. 

The one thing I do wish is that the author would get a bit more into physical descriptions because I have no clue what most of these characters look like other than the Princess having reddish-brown hair and Likh looks very feminine. We get a wonderful description of the world, but we don’t really get a description of the people. 

We got a The Name of The Wind style of storytelling at the end of each chapter and I was living for it. You guys know I love the Name of the Wind and the way the author incorporated that style had me over the moon. They were just small snippets of the future that gave us some insight into what would be happening soon. You definitely don’t want to skim over those parts because they are very important to the overall storytelling. 

A very minor part of this story is the friendship between Mykaela and Polaire. Honestly, I need a friendship like theirs. man screws one of them over and the other shares her life-force. That is friendship. Their these two old bickering betties and I can’t get enough of them. 

This author has done such a good job with writing couples. There were certain parts of this story that almost had me saying “awwwww”, but since I don’t usually say that I didn’t, but I felt all warm and fuzzy inside.


This book was 100% a step up from the first book, so if you weren’t exactly a fan of the first book, you should still definitely give this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment