Thursday 5 April 2018

The Bone Season Spoiler Free Review


The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)
The Bone Season
by Samantha Shannon


Release Date: August 20th, 2013

Synopsis:


The year is 2059. Nineteen-year-old Paige Mahoney is working in the criminal underworld of Scion London, based at Seven Dials, employed by a man named Jaxon Hall. Her job: to scout for information by breaking into people’s minds. For Paige is a dreamwalker, a clairvoyant and, in the world of Scion, she commits treason simply by breathing.

It is raining the day her life changes forever. Attacked, drugged and kidnapped, Paige is transported to Oxford – a city kept secret for two hundred years, controlled by a powerful, otherworldly race. Paige is assigned to Warden, a Rephaite with mysterious motives. He is her master. Her trainer. Her natural enemy. But if Paige wants to regain her freedom she must allow herself to be nurtured in this prison where she is meant to die.


The Bone Season introduces a compelling heroine and also introduces an extraordinary young writer, with huge ambition and a teeming imagination. Samantha Shannon has created a bold new reality in this riveting debut. 

My Thoughts:

I gave this book 4 stars. This book was good, but I definitely think the series will get better so I won’t give it that fifth star just yet. From the reviews I’ve seen for this book, it’s been pretty hit or miss for everyone. I’ve been seeing either 5 stars or 1 or 2 stars and that’s it. there is definitely a divide and I feel that I lean more towards to positive side for this book. 

The author did a really good job of laying down stepping stones. She gave us so much information about the main character, where she lives, what her age is, what time period it is. She doesn’t give it all to us at once, she gives us small doses of our character’s past as to not overwhelm us with information. We really get to see how the world becomes what it is instead of having a brief mention of the world before. She did an amazing job with the world building. Despite the book being ginormous, I never felt like pages were being wasted. 

This book follows clairvoyant Paige Mahoney. Much like most books about characters with special powers, she’s different. It isn’t overly cheesy and doesn’t have the overdone “Chosen One” trope. She’s just a girl who has a rare gift that she doesn’t know how to use. She also isn’t the only one with a rare gift, there are also others that have equally rare gifts, just not the same as hers. It was reminiscent of a superhero group.

This book felt different from every other Dystopian novel I’ve read. It may have to do with this being written a bit older than what I’m used to as I’ve only ever read YA Dystopian and this one definitely feels more mature. It was almost like a dystopian fantasy novel. It was such an odd mix of genres that I have never seen before and I have to say I really love it.


I have a very strong feeling that Warden isn’t going to be present much if at all in the next book and that makes me very sad. I spent pretty much the entire book waiting for Warden and Paige to kiss because even though it was never outright stated, they had so much chemistry. I’m glad that I already have the second book so I can just start reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment