Tuesday 23 January 2018

Top 10 LGBTQ+ Books


I'm a bit guilty when I say that I apparently haven't read as many LGBT books as I thought I had. I'm hoping to fix that this year. If you're wondering why a certain book isn't on this list, it's because I wanted to limit this list to books where the LGBT characters weren't just some obscure side character, they were pretty much front and center. A list of my favorite LGBT characters and ships is a whole other list. Without further ado, let me begin my list. 


10. Cut and Run 



Our two protagonists are two manly men FBI agents who don’t really get along at first but have to work with each other and soon realize they have a thing for each other. It’s thrilling, it’s sexy, it’s perfect.

9. Him



This has the honour of being the first Elle Kennedy book I ever read and I have to say it set me on the right path. Our two protagonists have been best friends for years, one openly gay and in love with the other and the other being 100% clueless. It’s as packed full of drama as you think.

8. The Raven King



Okay so these characters aren’t the main main characters, but they are main charactery enough for me to give them this spot on the list. Also there are two of them so that doubles their significance. I won’t say which characters because spoilers, I will however say it’s important enough to put on the list.

7. This is Where it Ends



I didn’t realize until I had finished my list that this is my only lesbian couple on this list. I’ve definitely read more books with lesbians in them, just never with them being protagonists. Their relationship is a huge part of the story. It’s important to plot and characters.

6. The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue



It took these two a billion years to figure it out but every second was worth it because they are so cute together. Monty and Percy are perfect together, Monty is out of control and has shit impulse control and Percy is calm and will call Monty out on his shit.

5. Carry On



This was basically the Harry and Draco fan fiction I always wanted, but better. These characters are loosely based on the previously mentioned characters, but they are also their own. 

4. Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens agenda



This was the last book I read in 2017 and I am happy to say I ended my year off on a good note.

3. Captive Prince



What I love about this book is how open it is about sexuality. Everyone is either gay or at least bisexual. I don’t think there is a single person who is 100% straight in this book and I loved that. In a sea of books where everyone is straight it’s nice to see a book where everyone is LGBTQ+.

2. I’ll Give You the Sun



Noah’s sexuality is a large part of this story, his point of view is all about him coming to terms with it and being in love with someone he shouldn’t. 

1. Wolfsong




This is the book that inspired this list. It was just so fantastic that I couldn’t stop thinking about it. This is officially my latest obsession. If you haven’t read this book yet, do.

Have any suggestions for LGBT books? 

2 comments:

  1. Last year I've also read the G'sGTVAV, Carry On, SvsTHSA and the first book in the Captive Prince trilogy. I really enjoyed all of them even though a few things made me a little uncomfortable in the Captive Prince but thankfully they stopped most of it quite early in the book. I'll see how it goes when I read the next two books. I also own I'll Give you the sun and I hope I'll get to it soon because I really don't know what to expect from this book and I kinda like that.

    Last year I also really enjoyed #Junkie and #Rev by Cambria Hebert I loved their relationship. And it was nice to see it takes place in a field which because of stereotypes would usually be seen as "straight only".
    Pride and Modern Prejudice by AJ Michaels. It's obviously a retelling of Pride and Prejudice but with men. I think it was pretty well done and there was a few twists compared to the original story which was interesting.
    And They Both Die a the end by Adam Silvera that I liked a lot more than History is All You Left Me. That ending though :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll fav this post because it basically has most of the books that have been sleeping on my TBR for ages, and that I need to read as soon as possible :) I'm planning on reading more LGBTQ+ books this year, and I'll definitely start with The Raven Cycle series, Carry On, Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda - because I need to read it before watching the movie, and Mackenzi Lee's book. As for recs, I haven't read many books, but one that I loved and recommend all the time is When The Moon Was Ours, by Anna-Marie McLemore ;)

    ReplyDelete