Thursday 26 October 2017

Adventures in Farland Spoiler Free Review


Adventures in Farland
by Moshank Relia

Synopsis:



Mira Rawat has heard tales of Farland all her life from her mother, who has described the magical place of gnomes, fairies, mermaids and animals, and especially its wondrous festival, the New Moon Party. Now, Mira has been informed by a man named Bushy that she has been invited by Princess Harmonica to attend the party. Bushy also uses a spell to turn her two friends, the mischievous and vexing boys, Bira and Vira, into rats so that they will not disturb the other party guests with their constant fighting and misbehaviour. At midnight, Mira, with Bira and Vira snuggled in her pocket, climbs Gunhill and is picked up by the pilot Starhead and flown in his plane to the party. However, the flight is cut short by a terrible wind, and Starhead is forced to land his plane near the Lost Forest. There, Mira discovers that Farland is in great jeopardy. Another Farland resident, Windman, has been generating great windstorms to prevent the Queen of Witches from reaching Dragon Hill. She intends to release the Dragon of Underhill, chained in its den beneath Dragon Hill, so that Farland will be burned and completely destroyed.

My Thoughts:


This book was hard to rate. My enjoyment level wasn’t all that high as I am not much of a middle grade reader. Looking at it as a children’s book, it had a bit of a higher rating, but only reading it as a child. It was hard to pinpoint where exactly it sat on the spectrum. I finally decided on 2.5 stars. 

I was told this book was for ages 6-15 but I feel like it would be more along the lines of 5-12. It just feels a bit young for 15 year olds. As I was 15 a few years ago I can say that I was definitely not reading books like this, I was more into the older YA books and I feel like a lot of 15 year olds would agree with that. This is definitely a good book for children though.

I’m a fan of middle grade, but this book felt even younger than middle grade and I’m just not sure if it was my cup of tea. If I had a small child I would definitely read this one to them as a bedtime story.

The illustrations in this book were also very cute and it was nice to see them every few pages, it gives a bit more of picture. It was also fun, books with little illustrations always add a bit of life to the story.


1 comment:

  1. This sounds like such a great read! I am adding it to my TBR. Great review:)

    ReplyDelete