Saturday 16 July 2016

The Last Star Book Talk

The Last Star (The 5th Wave, #3)
The Last Star
by Rick Yancey

Release Date: May 24th, 2016

Spoilers

Synopsis:


The enemy is Other. The enemy is us.

They’re down here, they’re up there, they’re nowhere. They want the Earth, they want us to have it. They came to wipe us out, they came to save us.

But beneath these riddles lies one truth: Cassie has been betrayed. So has Ringer. Zombie. Nugget. And all 7.5 billion people who used to live on our planet. Betrayed first by the Others, and now by ourselves.


In these last days, Earth’s remaining survivors will need to decide what’s more important: saving themselves…or saving what makes us human.

My Thoughts:

I gave this book 3 stars. I finally got around to reading this one! I'm so happy for me I deserve a pat on the back  Anyway, I was hoping that this one would be just as good as the first or at least better than the second one, but it wasn't.



This book just made me really sad and I sat there for about 10 minutes after I finished it just sort of staring off into space. 

Before starting this book, I sort of just started flipping through the pages just to get a feel for it, and I read one teeny tiny sentence near the end that completely spoiled some things for me. I read something along the lines of, "Evan Walker was gone." And being me I just assumed that he had died. That's the first place that my mind had gone.



So I started this book thinking that half of my ship had died. I was so sad for Cassie, I was like, how will Cassie react. Except once I started the book, I realized something. Cassie was constantly pissed off at Evan. So would their relationship have even worked if he had lived? Probably not, since she is having all these questioning thoughts about him. This made me nervous because I loved them together so much.



Nearing the end of the second third of the book, I found out that Cassie was going to die, I think I might have also spoiled that part for myself. So I was pretty content thinking that they were both going to die, and at least they had each other. But then Rick fucking Yancey had to come in and fuck shit up. He didn't kill Evan Walker, no he killed Cassie and then left Evan Walker to pick up the pieces. What the actual fuck? The book ended with Evan going off on his quest to take down the other Silencers, and he just seemed completely empty. The story felt empty. They had just killed off one of the main characters, I figured since we had started the series out with Cassie, it would end with Cassie. You know? Call me sentimental, but that's just what I think.



Onto the plot, I couldn't really remember much of what had happened in the Infinite Sea, it was kind of a blur, but I was so surprised when Ringer told Ben that she was pregnant, it just sort of came out of nowhere. At first I just thought that the Aliens had done some weird experiment on her that made her pregnant with some super baby or something. This was not the case. I loved the fact that Ben didn't seem to care that the baby wasn't biologically his, he loved her anyway. The rest of the people on Earth should be more like Ben.



There have been times in the series where I questioned whether or not I liked Ben, I certainly didn't always loved him, I mean liking him would have been a bit of a stretch. He proved himself in this last book, he took care of Sam and Megan and baby Cassie and he loved Ringer. Ben is a good man. 

The whole part of the book where they took all of Evan's memories made me so nervous. When he was hunting Cassie all I wanted him to do was shake it off or something and not attack her and then he attacked Ringer. It was a mess and I was glad that he was restored to what he was before. He deserves to have a life.



When Cassie got all of those thoughts and memories implanted in her mind, I felt so nervous, she felt like a ticking time bomb. Have you ever seen the movie Lucy? You know the one with Scarlett Johansson? Well it reminded me of that. 

I don't regret reading this book, it was necessary and I enjoyed the closure it gave me.

Quotes:

“She was the mayfly, here for a day, then gone. She was the last star, burning bright in a sea of limitless black.”
“But I am even more than this. I am all those they remember, the ones they loved, everyone they knew, and everyone they only heard about. How many are contained in me? Count the stars. Go on, number the grains of sand. That's me.
I am humanity.” 

“Once a human named Evan Walker had a dream—a dream it can no longer remember—and in that dream there was a tent in the woods and in that tent there was a girl who called herself humanity, and the girl was worth more to it than its own life.” 

“Thinking about the bacon - the potential of bacon - gives me hope. Not all is lost if bacon isn't.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment