Monday 25 September 2017

Things That Are Over Romanticized in Books

I'm on a blogging kick, I've already written three other blog posts in advance. I just feel like talking about books right now. Today I decided I wanted to talk about some things I thought were over romanticized in books, as you should know if you read the title of this post.


Death



There are so many books out there over romanticizing death that it isn't even funny. There are even romances where death is the fricken love interest. In reality death is scary and sad and we don't want to see it happen to those we love and we ourselves don't particularly want to die. Death is played out as if it isn't as terrible as it truly is.

Trauma



I feel like authors play a game of "who can give their protagonist the most tragic backstory." This is especially evident in Fantasy, I don't think I've ever read a book about a protagonist with a happy backstory. It's all death and destruction and pain. It gets to the point where in our real lives we don't feel validated in our sadness unless we have something that has caused it.

Mental Illness (Disorders)



This sort of loops back to the trauma. People don't feel validated with their unhappiness unless there is something outright causing it. I know people who have even faked eating disorders to try and gain that validation. In some books it's like the characters and the author are reveling in their problems. There are some really good books about mental illness out there, but then there are the ones that make you want to pull your hair out because they get the emotions and the feelings attributed with it so wrong, it's almost like they are glorifying disorders. Like, when a character likes things to be neat and they're like, "Oh my god, I am so OCD!!!" like no, Monica Geller is OCD, you just don't like living in a dump.


Being Mean (Rudeness)



In books there is a fine line between being sassy and sarcastic, and just being a mean person. Now, I am all for the sass, but there have been times where I was reading a book and just thinking to myself, "How can this person think that's okay?" or "This character is a total brat". Being rude doesn't make you superior. If someone is being rude to you go right ahead and sass them to death, but if you just decide you don't like them and they've done nothing to you and you're just sassing them to try and prove you are superior, you aren't, you're just a bitch. This honestly happens too often in books.

What things do you guys think are over romanticized in books?

Feel free to add me on social media! And you can follow my blog in the side bar to be notified when I post!
Jessie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Instagram Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment