Wednesday 29 August 2018

Top 5 Books List for a Class on Humanity


I made up the list of books I wanted to use and then I decided to come up with a common denominator which ended up being Humanity. I feel like all of these books showcase humans in a different way.

1. A Monster Calls



This entire book is very metaphorical and has a lot to examine. Not only is it a really good read, it's also something you can look closely at and see several different meanings. 

2. The Outsiders



I read this when I was in the Eighth grade and I learned a lot from it. There are so many important themes in it and I also think it's a book that everyone will love. I have yet to meet someone who has hated the Outsiders.

3. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone



For obvious reasons, I would want to teach this in my class. Harry Potter was a stepping stone in a lot of peoples lives and I think it's also got very prominent themes that I could see really impacting people. Also, it would keep people more engaged in my class.

4. The Hunger Games



Despite pop culture focusing in on the love triangle, this book has so many important themes. It's about rebellion and it's even been banned in some countries because of its themes. I think it's so important because of that and also a book everyone would love.


5. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo



I think every class needs a mystery novel. It's all about examining the evidence and the characters and building profiles. I feel like it would say a lot about a person what they think would happen and what they think of the characters in their situations. Also, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo doesn't pull any punches and I think that would be pretty engaging for a class. And it really showcases the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of people.

What books would you guys want to teach in your own class?


Feel free to add me on social media! And you can follow my blog in the sidebar to be notified when I post!
Jessie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Instagram Follow

1 comment:

  1. Those are really good choices! I'd say 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale, obvious as they are, but to name something a bit more 'out there', I'd add:
    * Mira Grant's Newsflesh trilogy: it has a lot of interesting stuff about politics and journalism, and about society in general (and yes, zombies).
    * Ian McEwan's Atonement: about how our experiences (and/or lack thereof) shape us and how we perceive things, plus how every action has consequences you and others have to deal with.
    * Terry Pratchett's Night Watch: about police action and social classes.
    * Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South: about how the fortunes and lives of workers and factory owners are tied, and things would march better if they understood each other and collaborated.

    ReplyDelete