Tuesday 28 March 2017

Love Triangle Rant

I recently decided that I wanted to occasionally rant about things. One of the things I happen to hate the most in books, are the tropes. My least favorite being the Love Triangle. I can not express to you how much I hate the Love Triangle, but I'm going to do my very best right now.



One of my biggest issues with the Love Triangle is that, the person in the middle of it shouldn't be leading two people on. It's going to end with a lot more tears than if they had just figured it out in the beginning. It just seems extra cruel for someone to drag it out like that, it also makes me dislike that character more and more.



Another is the fact that that character couldn't choose in the first place. How can you not know who you love more? I know there are certain situations where maybe one of them is better for you than the other. Or maybe the one you truly love is dead or in jail or something, but this just leads right back to the first. If you are harbouring feelings for someone else and you can't completely invest yourself in the relationship you are in, then what are you doing. So many book characters do this and it drive me nuts. This does not happen in real life.



Now possibly the worst part about all of this is when you're reading a book and the character chooses the one who you didn't want them to end up with. For example, (Spoilers for the Nightshade Series by Andrea Cremer) when I was reading the original Nightshade Trilogy I loved Ren. Ren was my baby and I wanted to marry him and have his babies. I also particularly shipped him with the lead Calla. To me they just seemed to have so much more chemistry than Calla and Shay. They also had history, honestly they were like a match made in heaven. Alas, Calla chose Shay, who I hate with all of my soul. I was heartbroken. Honestly, I can't even reread the series because I am still so mad about it.



What's even worse is when you like both of the love interests. It's then almost impossible to choose who you would like the character in the middle to choose. Either way, you will feel heartbreak, unless it's under one of those very rare circumstances that one of them decides they would be better off as friends with the character in the middle. This is a rare case though, so it doesn't apply as much.



Also, when there is a love triangle I get distracted form the actual story. I don't care what happens, I just want to find out who the person chooses in the end. Therefore I tend to enjoy the plot of stories with Love Triangles less than stories without love triangles. It just really sucks getting distracted by something so stupid.



My point is that the Love Triangle will cause you lots of drama and heartbreak. I don't need that kind of drama in my life, I don't have any at all and I'm happy with that. Love Triangles just add extra stress to my life.



Do you guys agree? I would love to hear your thoughts

1 comment: