Saturday 25 March 2017

Everything Everything Review

Everything, Everything

Everything Everything
by Nicola Yoon

Spoilers

Synopsis:


My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.


Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster. 

My Thoughts:

I gave this book 5 stars. Contemporary has never been and probably never will be my genre of choice. Which means me loving this book so much came at a bit of a surprise. 



This book was just full of so much fluff. It was just so cute that I just had this warm feeling in my chest just reading it. 



The way this book was written had me latched on from the get go. It was just such a quick read. The way the chapters went, they were barely chapters so I would keep telling myself "just one more chapter" and the next thing you know, I'm halfway through the book and it's 3 in the morning.



I feel like I would get along really well with Maddy. She seems to have the same taste in books that i do. She thinks Lord of the Flies was boring and The Little Prince was packed full of meaning and emotions. I wish she was real.



Olly is such a good guy. Kind and sweet and funny. I need an Olly in my life. He goes out of his way to protect his family and the people he cares about. Willing to help Maddy when she realizes she needs to live her life. 



Maddy reminds me of a Disney princess. Most specifically Rapunzel. She was locked away for 18 years and finally realized that her mother was lying to her, claiming to keep her away from harm. All of this was for her mothers gain. the only difference is that Maddy's mother was mentally ill, mother Gothel was not.



I just have to say, whenever they mentioned humahumunukunukuapuaa my mind instantly goes to High School Musical 2. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a little bit distracting. My fault entirely.



I also just wateched the movie trailer for this book and I'm really hyped now. There are actual quotes from the book in the trailer. I think this is actually going to be a good one. Fingers crossed.



I spent a lot of time while reading the book, wondering how they were gonna get past the hurdle of Maddy being allergic to everything. I was happily surprised to find out she isn't actually.



The ending made me happy. The reason I don't always like contemporaries is that for some reason I expect some sort of happy ending. If it's too vague or sad then I probably won't like that book. This, while leaving what happens after as a bit of a ... still had a bit of happiness to it. Maddy and Olly reunited and were in love. I really would love if there was even a small epilogue to it. I just want more of them. It was a beautiful ending.



Overall, you really need to read this book and I really need to read The Sun is Also a Star. 

Quotes:

“Maybe growing up means disappointing the people we love.” 

Spoiler alert: Love is worth everything. Everything.” 

“Life is a gift. Don't forget to live it.” 

“Sometimes I reread my favorite books from back to front. I start with the last chapter and read backward until I get to the beginning. When you read this way, characters go from hope to despair, from self-knowledge to doubt. In love stories, couples start out as lovers and end as strangers. Coming-of-age books become stories of losing your way. Your favorite characters come back to life.” 

“I was happy before I met him. But I’m alive now, and those are not the same thing.” 



1 comment:

  1. Lovely review! I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed that one, I read some mixed reviews about that one so far. I'm still looking forward to reading it and you really made me enthusiast and excited about it again, so thank you so much for that

    ReplyDelete