Thursday 8 June 2017

Paper Princess Series Review


Paper Princess (The Royals, #1)
Paper Princess Series
by Erin Watt

Minor Spoilers


Synopsis:



From strip clubs and truck stops to southern coast mansions and prep schools, one girl tries to stay true to herself.

These Royals will ruin you…

Ella Harper is a survivor—a pragmatic optimist. She’s spent her whole life moving from town to town with her flighty mother, struggling to make ends meet and believing that someday she’ll climb out of the gutter. After her mother’s death, Ella is truly alone. 

Until Callum Royal appears, plucking Ella out of poverty and tossing her into his posh mansion among his five sons who all hate her. Each Royal boy is more magnetic than the last, but none as captivating as Reed Royal, the boy who is determined to send her back to the slums she came from.

Reed doesn’t want her. He says she doesn’t belong with the Royals.

He might be right.



Wealth. Excess. Deception. It’s like nothing Ella has ever experienced, and if she’s going to survive her time in the Royal palace, she’ll need to learn to issue her own Royal decrees.

My Thoughts:

I gave this series 5 stars. If you've noticed at all, I haven't posted in a few days, this is because I was completely caught up in this series. It was meant to just be a casual read so that I could see what all the hype was about, but oh boy, this series took me by surprise.

I started reading this series a few days ago and I've basically dedicated every spare minute I've had to reading these books. I even got so desperate for more that I started reading the unfinished serial about the some of the other characters that the author has on their website. I also finished that and now i pretty much don't know what to do with my life.

Starting off, the romance was hot. I loved the chemistry that the leads had, it was burning so bright in the first two books. I feel like it diminished a bit in the third book, but it didn't completely bore me out of my mind. The first book was most definitely the best chemistry wise.

Plotwise, the third book was probably the best. The first and second were more of the high school drama kinds of books, pretty much about mean girls and douchebags. The third one though, there was some murder plots and a mystery to solve and I loved that. Nothing I love more than a good old fashion murder mystery.

The characters in this series were very well flushed out, except maybe the twins, I could definitely use more of them. They didn't speak all that much in the series, all I really got from them was that they could not cook at all, and they shared a girlfriend. I would definitely like to get to know them better hopefully in their own book. The rest of the Royal boys though, they had lots of depth and character that I've grown to love. I feel like I know them and that's a really important part of the reading experience. Knowing the characters. 

Bonus, I didn't hate the protagonist. I mean she did occasionally make questionable choices but she is a teenager. Teenagers will do what they want even if it's a bad idea. It's part of the teenage experience. I can't really be mad at that. Plus, she really does, for the most part, have common sense. She could tell pretty much right away that something wasn't right with her father.

I do think that Reed got into too many fights though, no one needs to fight that much. Just make passive aggressive comments and make them shut up another way. If you keep going around punching people, it's not going to look good. Be sneakier about it. This reputation of his did not help him at all the third book because he always went around punching people.

Callum is a sweetheart. Usually, the parents are really made into the bad guys in romance novels, and a lot of YA novels, but I liked how he was someone that they could go to for help. He wanted the best for them, but he wasn't ultra strict, he gave them freedom to live their lives. Maybe a bit too much freedom, but I still think he was a good parent overall.

Anyway, if you love romances of the edgier kind, most definitely give this one a read. 

Quotes:

“You’re poking a tiger.”I shrug. “He poked me first.” Callum shakes his head. “And I thought raising five boys was an adventure. I haven’t seen anything yet, have I?”

“Look, I like you. Didn’t think I would but I do, and because I like you, I feel the need to warn you that we Royals are pretty fucked up. We’re good in bed, but out of it? We’re like a stage four hurricane.” 

“I’m only seventeen. Sometimes that feels too young to have lived the life I have. Sometimes I look around at my surroundings and think, I don’t belong here” 


“You want me to say it?” he whispers. “Fine, I’ll say it. I want you. I fucking want you.” 


“Nuh-uh, you’re not getting off that easy. I want you to say it. Tell your big brother about your crush on your other big brother.”“You’re imagining things. I’m not crushing on Reed,” I lie.“Bull.”“I’m not,” I insist, but Easton sees right through me.“Shit, Ella, I need a smoke every time you two are within five feet of each other.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment