Wednesday 3 August 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Book Talk

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8)
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
by J. K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne

Release Date: July 31st, 2016

Spoiler Alert

Synopsis:


Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.


While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.


My Thoughts:

I gave this book 5 stars. Was there even any doubt about it? This was my number 1 most anticipated book of the year and it did not disappoint.The Nostalgia of this book made me cry. I cried during this book.  Actually, the only thing that bothered me about the entire book was the fact that Ronald Weasley didn't say "Bloody hell" a single time in the entire book. Other than that, I love it.


I've been saving the GIF, for just this occasion. 

To start, I realized just how much I loved all the original characters when I read this. Every time Albus was an asshole to Harry (which was pretty often) I just felt so protective of my little baby Harry. The thought of that asshole son of his hurting him, made me very violently protective. He is just being all assholish about everything, because he doesn't think his father cares and then he goes on to eventually use Harry's orphan status against him. Albus seemed to really resent his father for being who he was. 




When I first started the book, it felt surreal, like I was reading a fan fiction, like this couldn't possibly be real. It did have a different feeling too it, since it wasn't just written by J. K. Rowling, but also two others. And it was in play format. It was hard to take in. Plus, there was all this new stuff that you had to add onto everything you already knew about Harry Potter. Like the fact that Albus Severus was all nervous about being in Slytherin, and he actually was put into Slytherin.




 And then Albus and Scorpius become friends. And Scorpius is so fricken nerdy and adorable. Like, he is nothing like his father, except in looks.Then there was the whole Voldemort is his father rumour going on. Rose was pissing me off at first because of the way she was brushing off Scorpius because of who he was and becoming less friendly with Albus because he is friends with Scorpius, I later forgave her, but at the beginning of the book it struck a nerve.




At the beginning of the book I was sort of hoping to live my Drarry ship vicariously through their sons. Alas, this did not happen and it turns out that Scorpius actually has the biggest crush on Rose, so my initial ship just kind of died and I hope that Scorpius and Rose get married and have ten kids and live in their "Love Palace."




The book wasn't what I expected. From the synopsis you don't really learn much about the actual plot, it's very vague and omniscient. Holy shit, they wanted to bring back Cedric Diggory, and even though throughout the books I didn't really care about Cedric, I still thought that it might be a cool concept. But knowing the series I should have known that it was not going to work out at all and everything was going to go terribly wrong, I don't know why any of this surprised me.




Oh my gods, when Scorpius, Delphi, and Albus took the polyjuice potion and turned into Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and Albus was Ron, and kept kissing Hermione. I had to put the book down because it was weirding me out so much. Like I couldn't handle it at all. And then he had to go and be like "Let's have another baby." I died a little bit.




I feel like Ron and Hermione's relationship played a large part in this book. In the first alternate future, they aren't married and Ron is married to Padma and I couldn't really tell if he was happy, and then Hermione was just plain angry, she became just like Snape. It scared me because Hermione in her own right is insanely badass, but add in mean and you don't even want to breathe wrong around her or you may end up as a mushroom. Also, they were so obviously in love with each other, but they weren't very aware of it. Then when Scorpius and Albus went back in time again, because apparently they didn't do enough damage the first time around, and they embarrassed Cedric, which set off another change of events, in the new reality after that, Ron and Hermione are once again, not together. And then Scorpius tells them all about their alternate future where they are together and have two kids, and they just completely melted for each other. When the Dementor came to kiss them, but hey kissed first. I don't understand anyone who doesn't ship Romione, do you even have a soul? and then I can't remember if it was earlier or later in the book, but Ron and Hermione were talking and he was like, "We should get remarried." (I'm paraphrasing, I do that a lot) because he wanted to marry her again, because they were so young when they did it the first time, and I may have shed a tear or two. 




Okay, at first when I didn't know about the changed past thing, I was like "What the hell is wrong with you HARRY JAMES POTTER?! Who taught you how to parent?  because he was being a douche bag telling Albus that he couldn't be friends with Scorpius anymore, just because of a "dark cloud". It later occurred to me that they had been in the past and fucked some serious shit up. I'm still not completely sure that Harry wouldn't have done that in normal circumstances. 




I enjoyed the whole premise of this story. Going back in time to stop something that shouldn't have happened. Messing things up. Going back in time to hopefully fix things. Messing things up even more. To the point where there is a Voldemort Day. 




A couple of pages before Delphi was revealed for being evil, I figured out she was evil, because that always happens. I always figure things out right before they are revealed because I'm slow. But what i figured out earlier was that she must have been the child of Voldemort or Bellatrix or someone. Joke was on me because she was the child of both of them. Something everything just thought was a head cannon has actually become cannon. I shouldn't be surprised by that since Bellatrix was obsessed with Voldemort and willing to do anything for him.




Okay about Craig's death, Delpi kills him, but he really didn't need to die, Albus and Scorpius told him to run and get help. If someone yells at you to run and get help, you don't stand around and ask questions, you get the hell out of dodge. 




But the range got back together to fight the daughter of the dark lord and I loved it. It broke my heart that they couldn't stop Lily and James's death. They stood their and witnessed it and couldn't do anything about it. I kind of wish that Neville and Luna had made an appearance in the book. Alas, I was still very happy with this book.




Quotes:


RON: Exactly. We're friends, and that's all.HERMIONE: Absolutely. Only-- friends.RON: Only-- friends. Funny word-- friends. Not that funny. Just a word really. Friends. Friend. Funny friend. You, my friend, my Hermione. not that-- not my Hermione, you understand-- not MY Hermione-- not MINE-- you know, but...

HERMIONE: You want to marry me again?RON:  Well, we were only young when we did it the first time and I got very drunk and-- well to be honest, I can't remember much of it and... The truth is -- I love you, Hermione Granger, and whatever time says-- I'd like the opportunity to say so in front of lots of other people. Again. Sober.

 ALBUS: You know logic would dictate that you're a freak? Rose hates you.SCORPIUS: Correction, she used to hate me, but did you see the look in her eyes when I asked? That wasn't hate, that was pity.ALBUS: And pity's good?SCORPIUS: Pity is a start, my friend, a foundation on which to build a palace-- a palace of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment