Tuesday 6 April 2021

Top 10 Books of 2015


I did 2014 so I felt like I had to also do a list for 2015. I also read a lot of books that year so there were a lot of good ones to pick from. Some of these are my all time favourites.

Honourable Mentions:

Debt


“You don’t get to set me on fire and leave me like a pile of ashes.”

This was one of the first dark romances that I read and I surprisingly loved it. I've only read this book once, but I would definitely be open to reading it again.


Ten Tiny Breaths


“What if he's a psychopath who tries to stuff kittens in ATMs?”

This was such a good book. I loved Kacey, she was such a great main character. This entire story was so real and emotional. It was a great romance novel.


Alice in Zombieland


“Don't look now, but that's my ex over there."
Surely I'm not the only one who takes "don't look now" as "there's no better time than now." I looked.
"Bad, Ali!" Another slap to my arm. "Bad, bad, bad Ali! Have you no self control?”

This was a really fun book to read. I've enjoyed every book in this series, but I definitely wouldn't kick any of the other books on this list off for this book.

10. We Were Liars

“He was contemplation and enthusiasm. Ambition and strong coffee. I could have looked at him forever.”

I remember reading this after a test in Social Studies class and just fucking crying my eyes out silently. I don't think anyone noticed I was crying since I'm a really good stealth crier. I guessed the twist, but I thought it was too far fetched so I dropped it about halfway through. I felt really justified when I got to the end and found that my theory was correct. Great novel.

9. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

“Normally seven minutes of another person's company was enough to give her a headache so she set things up to live as a recluse. She was perfectly content as long as people left her in peace. Unfortunately society was not very smart or understanding.”

I tried to read this when I was 12 and I hated it. I almost got rid of it, but I decided to give it another try when I was 16 and I just have to say it's one of my favourite mystery novels. It's such a good book. 

8. The Iron Trials

“They all yelled in excitement. Tamara yelled because she was happy. Aaron yelled because he liked it when other people were happy, and Call yelled because he was sure they were going to die.”

I was surprised by this book. I only read it because Cassandra Clare cowrote it and I decided to do an assignment on it. I ended up loving it a lot much to my surprise. I love when I'm surprised by a good book. It's a different type of satisfaction.

7. Corrupt

“When you want to make an impression and you think you’ve gone far enough, go a little further. Always leave them wondering if you’re just a little bit crazy, and people will never fuck with you again.”

This was the first book in one of my favourite romance series' of all time. This series was so good. I reread this book so much considering it took 2 years for the next book to come out. It isn't my favourite book in the series, but it was definitely the one that got me interested.

6. Darken the Stars

“You can’t be serious!”
“I’m so serious.”
“He’s a psychopath.”
“He’s my psychopath.”


This finale was so good. I can't get over how good this book was. It kind of irked me that the ending was a cliffhanger. I need a conclusion. I need at least one more book. I don't think it's going to happen honestly, but I want it. This book totally surprised me because I didn't think I was going to like the couple that happened in this book. This ended up being my favourite book in the series.

5. Immortals After Dark Series

Source
“He's like six hundred years younger than you are. I refuse to be the moral compass of our cell! Most weekends I have an intoxispell bong attached to my mouth like a respirator. I love scatological humor, and I list 'pranks involving nuclear waste' and 'making demons eat things' as my hobbies.”

I read the first book not in 2015. I took a break and then I started up on the series again and literally read a book a day until I caught up on the series. To put that into perspective there were I think 17 books in the series that were out. I had already read one. So everyday for over 2 weeks I read one of the books from this series. It would be criminal for me to not include this series as a whole on this list.

4. The Sky is Everywhere

“That's a misconception, Lennie. The sky is everywhere, it begins at your feet.”

Whule I didn't like this one as much as I'll Give You the Sun, this was still soul food. It gave me everything I needed and also left me grinning like and idiot once I had finished reading it. If you've never read a Jandy Nelson book before I would highly recommend giving her books a try.

3. Carry On

“He's still looking in my eyes. Staring me down like he did that dragon, chin tilted and locked. "I'm not the Chosen One," he says.
I meet his gaze and sneer. My arm is a steel band around his waist. "I choose you," I say. "Simon Snow, I choose you.”

This book was so controversial for no reason. A lot of people hated it because they were like "It's literally just Harry Potter". No it was a fanfiction of Harry Potter. That is the entire premise of the book. If you don't want to read a Harry Potter fanfiction then don't read this. It's as easy as that. It's the story most of us wanted and it felt so good to finally get it. I can't express to you how much I loved this book. I finished it and immediately reread it. 

2. Queen of Shadows

“Behind them, across the hall, the dancers shattered their roses on the floor, and Aedion grinned at his queen as the entire world went to hell.”

This was my favourite book in the series. It was so hard for me to put this at 2. If I could, I would have tied this with number 1, I just felt like that would be a bit of a cop out and I didn't want to do that. In my personal opinion this is the best book in the series and no one can change my mind.

1.  I'll Give You the Sun

“Meeting your soul mate is like walking into a house you've been in before - you will recognize the furniture, the pictures on the wall, the books on the shelves, the contents of drawers: You could find your way around in the dark if you had to.”

If you are surprised that this is my number 1 then you haven't been paying attention. Even years later I think about this book. I'm kind of scared to reread this one just in case I don't love it as much as I did the first time. I don't think that'll be the case, but when you've built up a story in your mind so much, you can never be sure.

Feel free to add me on social media! And you can follow my blog in the sidebar to be notified when I post!
Jessie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Instagram Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment