Wednesday 17 August 2016

Top 5 Favourite First Lines

Okay, this one was a bit harder to do since, I'm currently not near my books, but I think I did this one pretty accurately, so I hope you enjoy this.

5. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone





"Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

This one was more because of the nostalgia. I've probably read the first book more than any of the other's in the series and everytime I start the book, it's like creating an old friend.

4. Ignite Me



"I am an hourglass."

I think this first sentence really summed up how beautiful and poetic Tahereh Mafi's writing is. Also, it kind of makes you think things like, "What is she even talking about?" and then you must read on to see what on earth is going on.

3. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl



“So in order to understand everything that happened, you have to start from the premise that high school sucks.”

I think this one if pretty self explanatory. High school does suck, and I relate to this on a personal level.

2. The Fault in Our Stars



"Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed, presumably because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, ate infrequently, and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time thinking about death."

This first sentence really set up the rest of the book really well, it summarized most of what you needed to know to understand what the book was all about.

1. Lolita



"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta."

Okay, this one is a bit more than one sentence, but I'm counting it and it's my blog so I can occasionally tweak the rules. This first line basically just sums up Humbert's obsession. It also sounds really cool and poetic, so whenever I think of cool first lines, I think of this book.

What are some of your favourite first lines? Comment below, I swear I on't bite. Anyway, have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment