Sunday 15 April 2018

The Secret of Ella and Micha Review


The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #1)
The Secret of Ella and Micha
by Jessica Sorensen



SPOILERS

Synopsis:

Ella and Micha have been best friends since they were kids. But one tragic night shatters their friendship and their lives forever.

Ella used to be a rule-breaker with fiery attitude who wore her heart on her sleeve. But she left everything behind when she went to college and transformed into someone that follows the rules, keeps everything together, and hides all her problems. But now it's summer break and she has nowhere else to go but home. 

Ella fears everything she worked so hard to bury might resurface, especially with Micha living right next door. If Micha tries to tempt the old her back, she knows that it will be hard to resist.


Micha is sexy, smart, confident, and can get under Ella’s skin like no one else can. He knows everything about her, including her darkest secrets. And he’s determined to bring his best friend, and the girl he loves back, no matter what it takes. 

My Thoughts:

I gave this book 5 stars. This is one of my favorite books of all time. It's taken me some time, but I've finally gotten around to writing this. As with a lot of my favorite books I've found it a bit hard to get out the exact words I'm looking for. It's taken me time to think of what I wanted to say and how I wanted to say it. I'm happy to say I'm finally here. And since I'm posting this on a Sunday, I'm gonna count it as an honorary Sunday Favorites post.  

This was one of the first real romances I read. I think I was around 12 when I read this, pretty young, but already really into books I shouldn't have been reading. This is a New Adult Romance, so you can count on parts being racy, but not to the extent of bodice rippers. It has lots of build up. We really focus on our main character and how she has become who she is. We get glimpses into her past and what went down with Micha all those months ago. 

Ella was a truly flawed character and I loved that. She wasn't annoying to read about. There were definitely holes in her justifications about things, but it felt very human of her. She had lots of battles to get through. She tried so hard to tamp down her feisty nature, but some of it always managed to sneak through. You guys know how I love a feisty main character. It was also so satisfying to see her eventually figuring out who she was and not just that image she thought would save her.

Now don't even get me started about Micha. He no doubt has his own issues, but I can't help but love everything about him. He's cocky, sweet, absolutely adorable, and refuses to let Ella forget who she is. His flirtiness with Ella legit almost ended me. I'm just not convinced that people like Micha exist in real life which is horribly inconvenient because I don't think I could settle for anything less.

The novel is mostly character driven. The plot is all about the characters, not huge events. It's all about how the characters feel and react, rather than being overly action-packed or adventurous. This novel, in my opinion, is the darkest a romance can get without being labeled a dark romance. The two characters have pretty fucked up pasts and they are still currently dealing with all the backlash and current problems. It's a pretty intense and dare I use the word 'edgy'. 

I'm glad that we had a few side characters, but the story wasn't oversaturated with people and names that we would eventually forget. The characters were never just mentioned and then forgotten, they all served some sort of purpose to the story. 

I really hope you guys give this book a chance because I do really love it. I don't think I can really tell you just how good it was, so you should probably read it so you can see for yourself.

Quotes:

“I love you, Ella May and nothing will ever change that. You can push me away -run away – and I will still love you.”  

“When it all comes down to it, it’s just me and her against the world. Always has been.”  

“You've always had a good grasp on what's right and wrong. You just have a hard time admitting that sometimes you choose the wrong.”  

“Pretend all you want, pretty girl. You and I know that deep down you’re secretly glad to be pressed up to my body.”  

“Stay here, baby … Trust me, okay? Don’t run.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment