Sunday 8 April 2018

Sunday Favorites: Harry Potter


This post sort of goes both ways, I love Harry Potter the character and Harry Potter as a book series so I'm gonna split this post in two and talk about my love and experiences with both of them. In case you haven't read Harry Potter yet, here is the synopsis of the first book:

Harry Potter's life is miserable. His parents are dead and he's stuck with his heartless relatives, who force him to live in a tiny closet under the stairs. But his fortune changes when he receives a letter that tells him the truth about himself: he's a wizard. A mysterious visitor rescues him from his relatives and takes him to his new home, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

After a lifetime of bottling up his magical powers, Harry finally feels like a normal kid. But even within the Wizarding community, he is special. He is the boy who lived: the only person to have ever survived a killing curse inflicted by the evil Lord Voldemort, who launched a brutal takeover of the Wizarding world, only to vanish after failing to kill Harry.

Though Harry's first year at Hogwarts is the best of his life, not everything is perfect. There is a dangerous secret object hidden within the castle walls, and Harry believes it's his responsibility to prevent it from falling into evil hands. But doing so will bring him into contact with forces more terrifying than he ever could have imagined.


Full of sympathetic characters, wildly imaginative situations, and countless exciting details, the first installment in the series assembles an unforgettable magical world and sets the stage for many high-stakes adventures to come.


We as readers don't give Harry Potter enough credit. Harry is probably no one's favorite character. He just isn't one of those characters that everyone gravitates towards, he isn't the most obvious choice. I decided that Harry needs a little love so I am dedicating this favorites post to him. If you weren't already aware, there are going to be Spoilers in this post so if you haven't read the series yet I would suggest skipping this one.



My favorite thing about Harry is his level of sarcasm. Harry has never been the brightest person or the most focused person, but he is really witty. That's what kept me engaged whenever the trio was not off doing something dangerous. Harry had that dry sense of humor that I love. I feel like the movies never truly captured his wit, but that's a discussion for another day.



Harry is such a sweet character. You don't really think about it much because it's just generally the right thing to do, but Harry sticks his neck out a lot for people who can't defend themselves. Dobby is the prime example. This weird little creature decided to help Harry out and Harry was just like "Seems legit. Totally 100% trust this species I didn't know existed and will go on to befriend it and cry profusely when it dies". Also, the fact that little 12-year-old Harry went to Nearly Headless Nick's deathday party is so pure.



Harry spent his entire life being treated like crap. He lived under the Dursley's stairs for years and took their abuse. Finally, after all those years of having a horrible life, he is finally free to have friends and live his life, not knowing he was basically being raised to die young. So many people hate on The Order of the Phoenix because Harry was so angry and they didn't like how angsty he was, but honestly, what did you expect? The boy has been abused his whole life and now the major media and the leader of the wizarding world are talking shit about him. He isn't going to be happy about that. Despite all these lapses in judgment, Harry was never an outright wicked person. He never treated anyone badly just because he felt like it.



As for the book series itself, it holds a lot of sentiment to me. As you probably already know as I've said it 10 billion times here on my blog, Harry Potter was the series that got me into reading. Before that I had read books here and there, even enjoying a lot of them, but I was never a heavy reader. This was the tipping point where I finally started to read for fun and not because I had to for school. I lucked out and actually started this series when I was 10/11. I remember being on the second book right around my birthday because I told my friend I wanted that for my birthday when she asked and then my parents bought me the rest of the series for my birthday and it was one of the happiest days of my life. I was just at the perfect age to read them.



I also remember being so proud of myself because The Order of the Phoenix was that very first book that I binged. I finished that book in 5 days and I was so proud of myself because it usually took me months to complete a book a fraction of that size. 



Sadly, I was a bit late getting onto the Harry Potter train so the only movie I actually got to see in theaters after having read the books was The Deathly Hallows Part 2. I went to see it with my dad and sister and it was absolutely mindblowing at the time. I have a million little memories just like that one that holds just as much sentiment to me, but if I told you guys about every single one we would be here all day.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed. Do you guys have any sentimental memories of Harry Potter? I'd love to hear about them!


Feel free to add me on social media! And you can follow my blog in the sidebar to be notified when I post!
Jessie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Instagram Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment