Saturday 7 April 2018

One Dark Throne Review



One Dark Throne (Three Dark Crowns, #2)
One Dark Throne
by Kendare Blake



Spoilers

Synopsis:


The battle for the Crown has begun, but which of the three sisters will prevail?

With the unforgettable events of the Quickening behind them and the Ascension Year underway, all bets are off. Katharine, once the weak and feeble sister, is stronger than ever before. Arsinoe, after discovering the truth about her powers, must figure out how to make her secret talent work in her favor without anyone finding out. And Mirabella, once thought to be the strongest sister of all and the certain Queen Crowned, faces attacks like never before—ones that put those around her in danger she can’t seem to prevent.


In this enthralling sequel to Kendare Blake’s New York Times bestselling Three Dark Crowns, Fennbirn’s deadliest queens must face the one thing standing in their way of the crown: each other.

My Thoughts:


I gave this book 4.5 stars. I had many mixed feelings about this book. I mean overall I loved it, I mean I gave it 4.5 stars. However, there were things that made em want to yank my hair out.

If you didn’t know, this story follows three sister queens who are all vying for the crown. They have to fight to the death in order to become the one reigning sovereign.  All three sisters were born with their own special abilities. There is the elemental queen, the poisoner queen, and the naturalist queen. We found out at the very end of the first book that the supposed Naturalist queen, Arsinoe, and the poisoner queen, Katharine, were actually switched. Meaning Arsinoe is actually the poisoner and Katharine is the naturalist which is why they were both so horrible at their supposed gifts.

I should discuss what made me angry. I know this is a fantasy novel, I know it’s about politics, I know it’s supposed to be hella dramatic, blah blah blah. I just hate the toxic relationship in this novel. Especially with Katharine. She’s just so stupid! She came out at the end of the first book being all dark and changed. She used to be so sweet and trying her best and now she’s trying to convince everyone she’s the queen of darkness and failing miserably (Reminds me a lot of Taylor Swifts rebranding). Katharine is spending all her time with this new guy because obviously after the first book she’s a bit pissed off at Peityr, but she is just so oblivious. Anyone with a brain can tell he’s leading her down this horrible path and he’s just using her because he wants power and she’s just going along with it. She acts like she wants to be this all powerful entity that no one will want to mess with, but she keeps taking Niclas’ lead. 

Also, I hate this common thing in books with romances where if a couple gets in a fight or someone finds out that the person they like likes someone else, they’ll just go off and hook up with someone they have no interest in. They’ll be thinking to themselves, “I’m not really into this. I should stop. This makes me feel gross.” and then they just continue doing it! Makes me so mad! 

I remember I sorted the three sisters into Hogwarts houses in my review of the first book. I’ve definitely been thinking about that the entire time I’ve been reading this book and I stand by my choices for each of the sisters. 

There was definitely a shift in the relationship between Mirabella and Arsinoe in this book and I loved it. I wish Katharine would have been part of it too, but she was too busy being an emo. 

The whole Mirabella, Joseph, Jules thing finally went down the drain. Something about it still isn’t sitting right with me, but I don’t know if anything will ever be revealed about as Joseph is no longer with us. I’m not horribly sad because we didn’t get much of Joseph in this book other than scenes of him kissing Jules’ ass.

Onto the subject of Jules, I did not like her for the majority of this book. She was too wishy washy. She was so mad that Joseph had cheated on her in the first book but stayed with him. She stayed with him yet refused to forgive him and just plain resented him throughout the book. If you don’t trust him, break up with him!!!!! I just couldn’t respect her. I had no respect for her. Because of the lack of respect, I honestly hated everything she did. 


No comments:

Post a Comment