Saturday 14 April 2018

Recommendations: Magical Realism


I personally think of Magical Realism as novels where magic just exists. There is no explanation or fanfare, it’s just there. So I actually only have three on this list today. Obviously, there are tons out there and I’ve been known to read a few of them, but these three are the very best of them and I wouldn’t feel right about just throwing in a couple of others I didn’t feel as strongly about just to make this post a bit longer. Obviously, there will be mild spoilers.

Practical Magic



This along with the prequel, Rules of Magic, are two of my favorite books. Neither of these books is solely about magic. Magic is more of a circumstance than a plot line. We really get to care about these characters and their lives and their love lives. I cried during both of these books because they were so emotionally impactful. The magic is just so beautifully woven in. It’s a very character driven book and heavy on the romance. If you’re interested in those two things this would be a good fit for you.

The Night Circus



Now this one is all about the magic. I can’t decide if the magic is the subplot or if the characters relationships are the subplots because both are incredibly prominent. This story wouldn’t be what it is without the mix of both. The Night Circus is about two gifted performers trying to outdo each other with their magic and falling in love when they shouldn’t. It’s set in our world and there is absolutely no explanation for any of it. It’s very mysterious and a very good read.

A Monster Calls




This one is a bit different from the other two because the “magic” is all in the mind. The “magic” is there to convey the process of grief and healing. It was a very unique way of storytelling and this book also made me cry. Like a baby. While there were people around. The magic itself is alive, embodying itself as a character. The magic is there to tell the story, to embellish it. The magic is what differentiates this book from others with similar plot lines.

Feel free to add me on social media! And you can follow my blog in the sidebar to be notified when I post!
Jessie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Instagram Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment