Thursday 18 January 2018

Wolfsong Spoiler Free Review


Wolfsong (Green Creek, #1)
Wolfsong
by T. J. Klune




Synopsis:


Ox was twelve when his daddy taught him a very valuable lesson. He said that Ox wasn’t worth anything and people would never understand him. Then he left.

Ox was sixteen when he met the boy on the road, the boy who talked and talked and talked. Ox found out later the boy hadn’t spoken in almost two years before that day, and that the boy belonged to a family who had moved into the house at the end of the lane.

Ox was seventeen when he found out the boy’s secret, and it painted the world around him in colors of red and orange and violet, of Alpha and Beta and Omega.

Ox was twenty-three when murder came to town and tore a hole in his head and heart. The boy chased after the monster with revenge in his bloodred eyes, leaving Ox behind to pick up the pieces.


It’s been three years since that fateful day—and the boy is back. Except now he’s a man, and Ox can no longer ignore the song that howls between them. 


My Thoughts:

I gave this book 5 stars. It was one of those books that I couldn’t put down, and then once I finished it I started it over right away.

I’ve only ever read gay romances written by women and I was actually really surprised to see how much a difference there would be when an actual man writes a gay romance.  It wasn’t even really the romance, but Ox. Ox was so different than any other character I’ve ever read about, maybe that’s because he was actually written by an actual man. At times this book read like a children’s novel, simple and to the point, but with a bit of a poetic spin. I don’t even really know how to describe it. The best possible way I could is that it’s a story written like a song or a song written like a story.

This book had all the emotions. There were times when it physically pained me how hard I was smiling and then there were times where it physically pained me at how sad it was. It brought me through the whole spectrum of emotions.

I loved how the title played an important part in the novel. They never actually used the word Wolfsong, but the entire story was laden with music and lyrical writing. Song was an important part of who Ox was. Now I could get into all kinds of hidden themes and meaning but I won’t because this isn’t English class and I doubt you guys would care. However, I will say that song has a lot to do with the story.

This was a pretty long book, but then, it took place over 10 years so it never dragged. I loved seeing how all the characters could change and how their lives are so completely different from the beginning and end. 

My only complaint is who the fuck names their child Oxnard? Actually who? I know it’s a city in California, but man it sounds so stupid. I honestly think his parents just naming him Ox would have been less stupid.

Overall, I loved this book. I loved the characters, I loved the romance, and I loved the plot. I would highly recommend this to those who love LGBT books and anyone who loves werewolf novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment