Tuesday 24 January 2017

Top 10 Favourite First Lines

Now I know what you're thinking, Jessie, didn't you already do a Top 5 Wednesday with this topic? The answer is yes, but I didn't actually have my books around me at the time and that list honestly sucked, so I'm redoing it. There may be some of the old ones on here, but lots go new ones.

10. "I wonder if I can fly?"




I wanna fly...

9. “So in order to understand everything that happened, you have to start from the premise that high school sucks.”


This one was just too real for me to leave out.

8. "When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home."


Classic.

7. "I’m pretty much fucked.
That’s my considered opinion.
Fucked."

Me when studying for finals.

6. "A real witch gets the same pleasure from squelching a child as YOU get from eating a plateful of strawberries and thick cream".


Yikes

5. "“It was night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.”


This one's a real attention catcher.

4. "The circus arrives without warning."


3. "Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta."


Iconic.

2. "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."


I know, I know, but Jessie, you haven't even read the Catcher in the Rye yet! Correction, I haven't finished it yet, I have, however, started it. And I liked the first line, so it stays.

1. "Dying really isn’t so bad after you’ve done it once."


It's just so dreadfully morbid and I love it.


What first lines of books did you guys really enjoy?

No comments:

Post a Comment