Thursday 20 July 2017

The Struggle Review


The Struggle (Titan, #3)
The Struggle
by Jennifer L. Armentrout




Spoilers

Synopsis:


A bloody path has been chosen… 

The war against the Titans continues, and they remain determined to wreak havoc on the world, but Seth has become something all gods fear. Now the most dangerous, most absolute power no longer resides in those who have been freed from their tombs. 

The Great War fought by the few is coming… 

All may doubt and fear what Seth has become. All except the one woman who might be his final chance at redemption. Josie will do anything to prove that Seth is on their side, but fate has a nasty way of changing lives, of changing people. 

In the end, the sun will fall… 

The only way they can save the future and save themselves is by facing the unknown together. It will take more than trust and faith. It will take love and the kind of strength not easily broken. No matter what, their lives will never be the same. 


For what the gods have feared has come to pass. The end of the old is here and the beginning of the new has been ushered in…

My Thoughts:

I gave this book 4.5 stars. I can never seem to dislike a book that Jennifer L. Armentrout writes. I have loved every single one without fail. They just cater so well to my own personality that I can't help but love them. 

I ordered this one off Amazon a couple of weeks ago and it actually came fairly quickly. I didn't even have a rush order on it or anything, it wasn't supposed to come for several more weeks so I was surprised to receive it in the mail. I for some reason deluded myself into thinking I could wait to read this book, but I ended up caving and I read it pretty quickly. A day, give or take two.

Leaving off at the end of the book I really don't know how they're going to resolve this. There aren't six demi gods left, Seth doesn't have any self control, and Josie has a tiny person growing inside of her. There are really so many directions this series can go in and it makes me a bit nervous considering Josie leaves off with the fact that she had a vision she would die. 

Josie's magical power that was attributed to her being the daughter of Apollo didn't really come as a surprise. When Cora revealed to have really cool powers and Josie thought about how she herself didn't have any cool powers I knew she had to have some ability she didn't know about yet. Then when Apollo was offhandedly talking about how he was the god of prophecies, it just sort of clicked and was confirmed when she too made that discovery. I think being able to see the future is a pretty awesome, if not daunting gift.

The fact that Seth has no self control really bothers me. Everyone keeps telling him, "I don't think that's a good idea", but he's just so caught up in himself that he doesn't care that it isn't a good idea. He's justified his reckless behaviour by saying he's doing it for Josie. It's a nice sentiment and all, but it's just burying him deeper and deeper.

I can't say that I was surprised by Josie's pregnancy. There were hints pretty early on in the story, plus it was a known fact that they had unprotected sex at the end of the second book. No surprises there. I feel like I should be annoyed by the amount of "surprise pregnancy" books out there, but I'm not. I find it so entertaining, usually the reader can figure these things out before the actual pregnant lady, so it becomes this game of "when will (blank) figure out that they're pregnant". It's something I don't think I'll ever get tired of. I also think Seth would be a pretty hot dad. I mean, he'd probably give his child anything it wants and spoil the shit out of it, but I don't think he would be that bad of a dad.

A personal favourite of this book is whenever they talk about Supernatural, because that is one of my favourite tv shows. It might not be as fun for people who don't watch Supernatural because they may not understand certain references, but when you do watch the show, there are some A+ references in that novel. I like how the author integrates pop culture into her characters lives. I know some author will pretend pop culture doesn't even exist when they write their books, that's okay, but I like feeling like I'm in the know. It makes me feel a lot more comfortable with the world if I know the pop culture references.

The only complaint that I have about this book is that it felt a lot like a filler book. Sure it had a whole lotta entertaining shenanigans, but when you think about it, all the events that took place in this book was just a set up for the next book. I wish it had more of it's own story arc that didn't revolve around the next book completing it.

I question I have for the next book is, what is going on with Apollo? he's being more secretive than normal and it's driving me crazy. He's also being a pretty shitty father which seems weird because he claims to really love Josie. I feel like I'm on the outside of an inside joke.

Overall, really good book. I devoured it and I don't regret a thing. If you've loved Jennifer L. Armentrout's past novels, then I would highly suggest reading this one.

Quotes:


“Zombies are all fun and games until they’re standing right in front of you.” 


“I’m not leaving you We’re in this together, Josie … If there is anything in this world, there is us.” 


“What destiny crap are you talking about?”A secretive smile curved the corners of his lips. “There is so much you do not know.”Why I hadn’t blasted the glittery fuck-face out the window yet was anyone’s guess.” 


“Just because you’re a god doesn’t mean I won’t punch you.”“Just because you’re a guest in my house doesn’t mean I won’t drown you in the ocean.” 


“But then I’d miss that look on your face.”“What look?” “Like you want to kick me and kiss me at the same time,” he answered.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment