Saturday 23 March 2019

A Pack of Blood and Lies Spoiler Free Review



A Pack of Blood and Lies

A Pack of Blood and LiesA Pack of Blood and Lies by Olivia Wildenstein
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Synopsis:


The primal rule of winning: don’t fall in love with the contender. 

Three months shy of her eighteenth birthday, Ness is forced to return to Colorado. Even though it’s been six years, and the wolves of her all-male pack don’t recognize her, she recognizes them. People who shun others because of their gender are hard to forget.

Especially Liam Kolane—son of Heath, the crudest and cruelest Alpha to have ruled the Boulder Pack. Liam is as handsome as he is infuriating, as kind as he is punishing, and he makes Ness’s traitorous heart race, which isn’t good. After all, he’s a Kolane. Like father like son, right?

When Heath dies, Liam vies to become the new Alpha and no one dares challenge him. 

Except Ness. 

Thus begins a treacherous game. 


The rules: winner takes all…including loser’s life.

My Thoughts:

I received a copy for an honest review

I gave this book 4 stars. While I enjoyed it and got through it fairly quickly, I found that it still wasn’t my favorite of the author's works. There were a lot of parts that dragged a little bit in this. However, there was also a lot to be said about the action. The parts I did like far outweigh what I didn’t like about the novel.

This story is about a girl named Ness who was taken away from her home at an early age by her mother. She’s lived away from everything she’s known for years and has become incredibly self-reliant, until one day she is dragged back by her uncle and his family. This novel contained one of my personal favorite tropes. A girl runs/sent away and is then brought back to a life she no longer knows how to live and has to confront her past in an epic way. Winning back the friends and family from her past.

I’m a total sucker for werewolf novels and an even bigger sucker for YA werewolf romances. We don’t get a lot of those. It’s a huge romance genre thing, but we don’t get a lot of werewolf books for teenagers and every time we get one it feels like a win. I really did love that aspect of it.

Another trope that I’m a total sucker for that was present in this book was the trials. I am the worlds biggest sucker for competitions and female characters showing how badass they are. I just really like competitions, it’s probably why I loved the Hunger Games so much. If you too like books with heated competitions then I think you would enjoy this.

From what I know of the author's previous work, I feel like there is going to be a very specific plot twist that is going to happen in the second book. A part of me does believe that this author could repeat a plot twist from one of her previous series’, but another part of me also can’ believe that this could happen with this specific set of characters. I really don’t know.

Feel free to add me on social media! And you can follow my blog in the sidebar to be notified when I post!
Jessie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Instagram Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment