Monday 17 December 2018

Kingdom of Ash Review



Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)
Kingdom of Ash
by Sarah J. Maas



Spoilers


Synopsis:



Years in the making, Sarah J. Maas’s #1 New York Times bestselling Throne of Glass series draws to an epic, unforgettable conclusion. Aelin Galathynius’s journey from slave to king’s assassin to the queen of a once-great kingdom reaches its heart-rending finale as war erupts across her world. . .

Aelin has risked everything to save her peoplebut at a tremendous cost. Locked within an iron coffin by the Queen of the Fae, Aelin must draw upon her fiery will as she endures months of torture. Aware that yielding to Maeve will doom those she loves keeps her from breaking, though her resolve begins to unravel with each passing day…

With Aelin captured, Aedion and Lysandra remain the last line of defense to protect Terrasen from utter destruction. Yet they soon realize that the many allies they’ve gathered to battle Erawan’s hordes might not be enough to save them. Scattered across the continent and racing against time, Chaol, Manon, and Dorian are forced to forge their own paths to meet their fates. Hanging in the balance is any hope of salvationand a better world.

And across the sea, his companions unwavering beside him, Rowan hunts to find his captured wife and queenbefore she is lost to him forever.

As the threads of fate weave together at last, all must fight, if they are to have a chance at a future. Some bonds will grow even deeper, while others will be severed forever in the explosive final chapter of the Throne of Glass series.

My Thoughts:



I gave this book 4.5 stars. As far as finales go, this was a pretty good one. It was not my favorite book in the series, that is still reserved for Queen of Shadows, but it was definitely still highly ranked. And I’ve waited so long for this book and it’s kind of surreal that it’s here and that I finally got to read it after years of waiting.

I’m kinda pissed that I never fucking heard about the magic school until now! Excuse me, Sarah J Maas, I’m gonna need a whole ass spin-off series about them reopening this magic school and having cool as lessons on magic and such. Please and thank you, that would be epic.

This story added a whole new dimension to everything. We got to see a side of Aelin that we never truly saw before. We’ve never seen her quite as broken as she was in this book. Of course, she’s been through some horrible things, but I feel like this hit a whole new low. Honestly, anyone who doesn’t like Aelin at this point is beyond help. She’s one of my favorite characters of all time and will always be. 

Also, I think Aelin and Rowan’s relationship became much more concrete in this novel. There was so much more emotion than previously. Even for those who may not have liked the pairing before, I feel like there is a good chance you’re going to like them now. Those two have been through so much together and have such a strong bond. Honestly OTP material. 

Speaking of OTPs, let’s talk about Elorcan. Those two are a match made in heaven, they deserve only the very best and all I really want is a smut version of their relationship. I feel like Sarah J. Maas was holding out on us by not giving us all of the details and I would like to kindly ask that that is included along with the magic school book. Thank you very much.

I must admit that I did, in fact, read a lot of spoilers before finishing the book. I just so happened to get this book late and then I had a lot of schoolwork to do so I didn’t always have the time to read this constantly. I came across many spoiler posts for this book and I saved them all in an Instagram album to read when I finished. Yeah for most of them I didn’t actually wait till I finished so I was spoiled for things. However, some of these spoilers were off? It was weird, I would read a spoiler and be like “Oh no! That sounds horrible!” and then I would read the actual scene and it would only be sort of like what the person described or not at all like how the person described it. 

For example, someone said that they were pissed because Aelin didn’t get to kill Erawan or Maeve, that they felt cheated that Fenrys and Yrene got to kill them. When I finally got there I found that this was kinda off. Yrene did kill Erawen, but Fenrys did not have the killing blow. He mortally wounded Maeve, but Aelin was the one to chop off her head. Maybe I just didn’t read the same book as this person.

Another would be that someone was pissed off because apparently nothing was going well for Dorian, they made it out as if he had the worst ending, nothing happy happened for him, he just had a shit hand in the end. I go to read the ending and I find that this is not the case at all. He got closure for the death of his father, he gets to run his kingdom on his terms, he helped take down Erawen, its hinted that he and Manon are going to find themselves together in the future. That definitely is not the worst fate of the characters in this book. It does lead me to believe that there may be a short story or even a novella about Dorian’s future. Probably in  The World of Throne of Glass.

Let’s talk about the elephant in the room. The tiny little scene where Aelin flying through all these different worlds, sees Rhys and Feyre. I know that Sarah J. Maas has said before that the books are in the same multiverse, but now that it is canonical in an actual book, I feel like we need to have some sort of crossover novel/series about them meeting and maybe fighting another big bad. I know it’s a lot to wish for but my fingers are crossed. 

Also, I read somewhere that apparently, Sarah J. Maas said somewhere that if Aelin and Rhys ever got in a fight, it would be close but Rhys would end up winning. I think about this a lot. I just need to share my two cents, it holds less than no weight, my opinion honestly doesn’t matter at all, but I just wanted to say that if Aelin still had the full force of her fire powers I think she would win. I know Rhys has al his super powerful High Fae powers, but you can’t really do anything with those if you’re burnt into a crisp in 5 seconds. Now after Aelin lost most of her super special fat magic, I do think Rhys would probably kick her ass.

It made me kinda sad that Aelin lost most of her firepower. I just can’t seem to get over how epic it was every time I would read a scene with her using her magic. Those scenes were only second to her actual combat scenes, I also loved reading those ones. Sarah J, Maas knows how to write the best fight scenes, honestly, no other author has come close for me.


As of right now, I can’t tell if I’m happy about this ending or not. It’s too fresh in my mind for me to know my true feelings. I’m gonna give it a few days, maybe weeks and I’ll see how I feel about it in the future.


Feel free to add me on social media! And you can follow my blog in the sidebar to be notified when I post!
Jessie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Instagram Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment