Thursday 9 August 2018

Ravensong Review


Ravensong (Green Creek, #2)
Ravensong
by T. J. Klune

Release Date: July 31st, 2018

Synopsis:


Gordo Livingstone never forgot the lessons carved into his skin. Hardened by the betrayal of a pack who left him behind, he sought solace in the garage in his tiny mountain town, vowing never again to involve himself in the affairs of wolves.

It should have been enough.

And it was, until the wolves came back, and with them, Mark Bennett. In the end, they faced the beast together as a pack… and won.

Now, a year later, Gordo has found himself once again the witch of the Bennett pack. Green Creek has settled after the death of Richard Collins, and Gordo constantly struggles to ignore Mark and the song that howls between them.

But time is running out. Something is coming. And this time, it’s crawling from within.


Some bonds, no matter how strong, were made to be broken.

My Thoughts:


I gave this book 5 stars. It was a hell of a lot darker than the first one which you probably wouldn’t think is possible considering how dark the first one was. While the first book started off light and then became dark, this one was dark all the way through.

This is a very slow burning book, it jumps between three different timelines: Before, when Gordo and Mark were just kids, Wolfsong, which takes place during the period of time where Joe, Kelly, Carter, and Gordo are off on their own for three years, and then After, where things finally start to come together.

There is so much we learn in this book. There was a lot that we never got to know about Gordo and Mark’s relationship from the first book that we are now getting an in-depth explanation of. 

I felt like this was a very cohesive sequel. It flowed perfectly from where the first book left off. Even though the book was about different characters it had the similar feelings while still being different. It was much like when a song shifts to another tune but it’s still part of the same song. 

A question I never asked before but often think of is what are the author's plans for Carter? He seems to be the only “straight” Bennett brother. Or is he? I think we may have another book coming to us after the Kelly and Robbie one.

During the first book in this series, I really didn’t care for Robbie. I felt like he was latching onto Ox when I just wanted Ox to be latching onto Joe. However, during this book, I felt like he really got a personality. Robbie is no longer the nuisance I found him to be in the first book and is now a character that I love.

Man, we got rid of one villain just to have two more in his place. Two more enemies were introduced in this novel, meaning that if one enemy is defeated in each book we will have at least two more books after this one, one a known villain and another a surprise that I won’t spoil for you guys.

I wasn’t as die-hard about Mark and Gordo as I was about Joe and Ox, but I did really enjoy reading their story.


Overall, if you liked the first book then I would say you would probably like this second book. I think the first is still better though, but I think it is a matter of opinion. I think some people would find that they like this one more.

No comments:

Post a Comment