Saturday 24 March 2018

November 9 Spoiler Free Review



November 9
November 9 
by Colleen Hoover

Synopsis:


Fallon meets Ben, an aspiring novelist, the day before her scheduled cross-country move. Their untimely attraction leads them to spend Fallon’s last day in L.A. together, and her eventful life becomes the creative inspiration Ben has always sought for his novel. Over time and amidst the various relationships and tribulations of their own separate lives, they continue to meet on the same date every year. Until one day Fallon becomes unsure if Ben has been telling her the truth or fabricating a perfect reality for the sake of the ultimate plot twist.


Can Ben’s relationship with Fallon—and simultaneously his novel—be considered a love story if it ends in heartbreak?

My Thoughts:

I gave this book 5 stars. It’s been about three years since I’ve read a Colleen Hoover book and I’ve been questioning why that is. November 9 is finally a rival to my favorite Colleen Hoover book, Hopeless. 

Fallon is the scarred daughter of a semi-famous actor and a retired actress herself. She has a really horrifying backstory and a horrible relationship with her father, which is where the story begins. 

Once we meet Ben, a funny mess of a writer. Ben and Fallon instantly connect and agree to meet up every year on that same day and thus, brings about the beginning of an amazing love story full of humor and heartbreak.

November 9 was not what I expected at all. I think I was a bit reluctant to read it because it sounded a lot like One Day and Love Rosie and I didn’t really like either of those. I should have known Colleen Hoover would never write something like that, her style is completely different and I love her for it.

I, for some reason, went into this book expecting the characters to be in their mid to late twenties instead of teenagers. I’ve found that I relate a lot to her novels about teenagers more than I do to her novels about people in their twenties. I really don’t know why this is, it might be that I myself am a teenager. I really can’t be sure.

The humor that Colleen puts into every single one of her books takes them from a 4 star to a 5 star. The humor took away from moments that otherwise would have been so unbelievably angsty that I would have had to put the book down. 

Like the rest of Colleen’s novels, this book comes with one hell of a plot twist. Holy shit I started crying. I loved how there was a story within a story. They were experiencing this relationship and Ben was writing it as it happened. It’s a book nerds dream.

I was a bit confused while reading because for some reason my mind thought that they would be meeting four times after the first meeting because they said they would be meeting five times. For some reason, my mind equated that to the first time plus 4 more. I then realized that they would be meeting that first time plus five more. This made it a longer travel to the endgame, but every second of that was worth it. 

I know I probably say this a lot when it comes to romance, but this is the sort of love I want to have. These characters are written as actual people and their romance is written as something that is real and it’s something I will aspire to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment