Friday 10 January 2020

My Decade in Books


I was going to publish this last week but I got distracted and forgot that I was writing this post. I watched PeruseProjects video on her favourite YA novels of the last decade and I really liked the idea. I decided to make my own list, however, it won't be confined to YA. Also, while she had hers set by publication year, I'm just going by the book that influenced that year the most for me. If you're interested in watching the PeruseProject video here is a link.


2010: Mr. Popper’s Penguins



One of the favourites I really don't talk about it a lot. I read this back in the fourth grade when I still hated reading. I remember my teacher, who tried her best to get me into reading, asked me what I was interested in. I told her I love animals. She pulled out this old ass book with a man and a whole bunch of penguins on the cover and told me to try reading that one. She got me there. I devoured that book and it remained this high that I tried to chase throughout the rest of the year. This book is just so integral to my past. If I had never read this book I probably would have still hated reading.

2011: Harry Potter



This was probably the most defining book series in my life. While I did read books here and there before this, I was never too invested in reading a lot. I would read books here and there and wasn't too mad about it, but it wasn't exactly my number one priority. Harry Potter made reading my number one priority. I legit only read it because everyone else in my class was reading it and I felt left out. And then I read it really quickly because I was competitive and wanted to read it faster than my best friend. (I was a little asshole).

2012: The Vampire Academy



I read this summer after sixth grade and all I did was read this series. This remains one of my favourite series' of all time. That summer I did so much fun stuff, I went to New York to visit family, I went to Ontario to visit family, and the entire time I literally just read this series. I was literally in New York, one of the coolest cities in the U.S. and I literally made my family go with me to the book store so I could pick up the next book because I had to keep reading. This series was A1. 

2013: The Hunger Games



Like Harry Potter, I literally just read this because my entire class was reading it. At the time I thought it was good but possibly a little overrated. As time goes on I like the story more and more. I feel like it's really died out within the last few years, but the Hunger Games was one of the best YA trilogies I've ever read. It had such an important message and was so well written. Plus it was just such a good story. I want to do a reread.

2014: The Outsiders



My sister tried to get me to read this but I refused but then I had to read it in eighth grade English class. I question why I never listened to my sister. Basically the day we started this in class, we just read two chapters right there in class and I thought it was pretty good. Then our homework that night was to read two more chapters, so I read the whole book. The Outsiders is such a perfect book and it amazes me that a fifteen-year-old girl wrote this story. This book is everything. if you've never read the Outsiders I would highly suggest it. This book is a classic. And one of the good classics. It's not some shit written by a dead white guy.

2015: Throne of Glass / I’ll Give You the Sun



I was trying to choose between these two for 2015 and I just couldn't do it. Both of these are just so important to me in different ways. Throne of Glass is one of my all-time favourite YA book series'. When it ended I didn't know what to do with myself. Everything about the Throne of Glass world was so new and exciting and exhilarating. Now, I'll Give You the Sun is one of my favourite books of all time. This book was so perfect in so many ways. I don't really want to give anything away about it plot-wise because I think it should be read with an element of surprise, but I will say it's sad but left me with the biggest smile on my face when it was over.

2016: Tales From the Shadowhunter Academy



I was looking through the books had read in 2016 and while I liked a lot of them, none of them made me quite as excited and giddy as this one did when I saw it on the list. I knew that I needed to have one of Cassandra Clare's books on here, but I'm actually kind of surprised with myself that it was this one. There was just so much love and nostalgia when I read this book. We saw old characters and we met new characters and it was the most perfect companion novel that I've ever read. 

2017: The Night Circus



You guys know how much I love a little magic. This book had a good blend of that little bit of magic. The entire atmosphere of this book is so hard to describe. It was ethereal, it was mystical, it was all types of amazing. Erin Morgenstern knows how to write good characters. I loved all of them. It was so hard to hate any of the characters she wanted you to love. 

2018: Wolfsong



I read this book. Finished this book. Read this book again. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. This book was my favourite of 2018 by a landslide. Nothing else compared. I just loved the way it was written. I loved that there was this perfect balance of humour and happiness against this backdrop of violence and sadness. T. J. Klune is so good nad messing with your emotions and getting you to feel exactly what he wants you to. I can't remember but I think this book made me cry.

2019: Without Merit



I think this dethroned Hopeless as my favourite Colleen Hoover book. I didn't think that was ever going to happen because I looooooved hopeless for so long. Like I can't even count how many times I've reread Hopeless. Without Merit just struck a chord in me that Hopeless could never get to.

Feel free to add me on social media! And you can follow my blog in the sidebar to be notified when I post!
Jessie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Instagram Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment