Friday 22 February 2019

What If It's Us Spoiler Free Review



What If It's Us
What If It's Us
by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera

Release Date: October 9th, 2018
Synopsis:


Arthur is only in New York for the summer, but if Broadway has taught him anything, it’s that the universe can deliver a showstopping romance when you least expect it.

Ben thinks the universe needs to mind its business. If the universe had his back, he wouldn’t be on his way to the post office carrying a box of his ex-boyfriend’s things.

But when Arthur and Ben meet-cute at the post office, what exactly does the universe have in store for them?

Maybe nothing. After all, they get separated.

Maybe everything. After all, they get reunited.

But what if they can’t quite nail a first date . . . or a second first date . . . or a third?

What if Arthur tries too hard to make it work . . . and Ben doesn’t try hard enough?

What if life really isn’t like a Broadway play?


But what if it is?

My Thoughts:

I received an ARC for an honest review

I gave this book 4 stars. This book made me sad. I’m just gonna go right out and say it. This book made me sad and I wasn’t the happiest when reading it.

I have read Becky Albertalli’s books before and loved them. I have yet to read any Adam Silvera books (other than this one) and now I’m not entirely sure I do because if this isn’t nearly as sad as his normal books then I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle his normal books.

I didn’t even need to look it up to know exactly which author wrote which character. From reading Becky Albertalli’s books in the past I could tell you that Arthur was right up her alley. Arthur was such a ray of sunshine, he was funny and talkative. He was very much a likable character.

Ben is probably the character most like me. Which means he wasn’t exactly my favorite. He was so pessimistic and dark and unsure of himself and I felt as though there was a mirror in front of me saying “This is you”. Ummm I feel personally attacked by this book character.

The story was really cute I have to give it that, but the way things ended had me a bit sad and confused. I know that it’s a pretty realistic ending, but damn it! I didn’t come for realistic! I do sort of hope that maybe there will be a sequel that will be a little less realistic and a little happier. I mean, chances aren’t high on that one, I won’t hold my breath.

Overall, you need a good LGBT romance. I know you do. This is a good one if you like either of the authors or even if you just want to expand your horizons. Not a bad place to start.


Feel free to add me on social media! And you can follow my blog in the sidebar to be notified when I post!
Jessie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Instagram Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment